Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Crossroads

Initially written long [2 months] ago for a very dear friend of mine, this poem actually applies to all those who walked with me through these past four years...


Dont turn the corner, dont vanish forever,
And leave me here, more heartbroken than ever.
Can I walk with you atleast till that end?
Maybe a little further, maybe till the end?

You see, I dont want to hear your voice
Fade one last time into the noise
of the rain that reflects my weeping soul,
I cry silently, never again whole.

We shared everything, food and fights,
You helped me through from darkness to light.
Part of me is you, is made by you.
I dont want to lose that too.

It is true, I hold on to the past,
Hoarding memories, that they may last.
I take pictures in an attempt to capture
fading memories that fill me with rapture.

I read diary entries of the good old days,
Then re-read them till the page is frayed.
With words and images, a futile attempt
To recall disjoint memories, unkempt.

Such measures have I taken desperately,
That after three years they are now part of me.

And now I descry the crossroads of life.
Like a mirage, I see beyond, a world of strife.
I look back and see our footprints on the dirt and grime,
Soon to be washed away by the sands of time.

I look forth and see a gray milestone.
"Hitherto you shall walk together as one,
But not any farther, to each man his own."

My heart is filled with cold grief.
So long it was, yet so dissatisfyingly brief.
"Even though we may never meet," you now say,
"I will never forget you, nay."

We come at the crossroads, we part our ways.
No futile promises, not much left to say.
Your path is surer than most, I know,
So you wont look back, or I think so.

Still I wait, for one last glance,
For our eyes to meet and share the dance
You round the bend, then hesitate,
Look back and reward me with a meaningful gaze.

And then I know that this is life,
Friends will come and go with the tide.
Its what they leave behind that matters
For they are never really gone, are they?

8 comments:

Seshadri said...

All those moments in my life (especially some days in the previous year), flashed through my mind as i read this..i understand, passing out of college is both joyous and painful..

Unknown said...

it is, yar... sometimes the pain of past memories threatens to take over the happiness... but we have got to remember the "here and now". We have to know that the PRESENT is moving on, while we think of the PAST.

Would dearly like to meet you one day. Keep checking your gmail mailbox- Ill send a mail soon.

Aparna said...

Painful memories will slowly transform into sweet memories :)

Dont think too much dear...Coming happiness will take over the pain of past memories...

Unknown said...

You are prolly the 1000th person to tell me not to think too much :-)

I cant help thinkin more than necessary.. The only tactic that has worked is tryin to distract myself with stuff..

But yeah you are rite.. painful memories will transform.. given time..the poem does end with a happy note in thst respect..

dee said...

hey vish....i really liked this poem....u hv beautifully potrayed the pain of moving away from friends.......truly touching.....keep up d good work!!!

Unknown said...

thanks.. and thanks for the advice...

The Illuminator said...

It's a good thought. Being reticent helps. I wrote my poem for myself alone so thr is a vast contrast between the two.

sauru said...

TOO GOOD vishy!!!!!!!..........liked it very much.......