Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Curse

I jolt awake from a terrible dream, with fear
dancing in my eyes, your piercing screams echoing in my ear
And again I remind myself that it would be bliss
If you were screaming at someone else.

I drag myself out, glancing at the clock wearily
Its 3 AM, once more have you roused me forcefully.
I curse my destiny and try to convince myself, thinking
I can choose not to act as a wailing wall for your suffering.
That I can choose not to hear you yell
Choose not to endure your monotonous drivel.

I move to my room, hoping for a soothing zephyr
Nurse a cup of coffee as though it were elixir
And then, as if in a trance, I hear you screaming
You dont merely haunt me, you are always with me.

I think about the songs you sang, repeated them
Trying doggedly to shake my blissful REM.
You used to sing about the sweet child o' mine
But you have no right to take his name or mine.
You have no right to turn lovely songs into meaningless noise,
As you exercise your very shrill voice.

Yet, as you so faithlessly sing
I drop whatever I am doing
Because I love you
I have always loved you.
I love the shimmer of your dark skin in the sunshine
Reach out and touch you, cos baby, you're mine.
I love the covetous glances people give you
And as though they are unlucky, I possessively shield you.

I care for you so much.
Then WHY do you wake me at 3 AM every morning?
WHY do I keep looking at you every few seconds?
WHY do you have to be made by Samsung, the one company who's products I love?
You are a polyphonic curse!

Hehe...first of all, this poem is dedicated to none other than my cell phone, a Samsung X620, whose looks I am crazy about. True to my word, I keep looking at it every few seconds as though it may ring just then [as every cellphone freak does].
Apart from looks however, is the fact that I, a true engg student [:)] use my cellphone as a morning alarm[...or should I say midnight alarm...LOL...] And over the past few weeks of gruelling sixth semester exams, my cellphone has been the one factor in my waking at Ungodly hours to [pretend to] study, and scrape through my exams.
Laudatory remarks apart, I hate the cell waking me up. True, if it werent for the cell, I would probably be taking 5 KTs per year, but that DOESNT mean I like its sound at 3 AM in the morning. Well, that explains the theme for the poem...

2 comments:

Savita said...

so..finally a poem on romance between a person and an inanimate object..
you can take poems to the extremes

Sounded like "the cuckoo partII" lol

jus a small diff between the cuckoo and the cell phone>>>

Unknown said...

hehe...